In case you haven’t heard yet, shaman’s are receiving some pretty major changes over the next 3 patches, including revamps to our Masteries and our Mechanic. As my main is a shaman, I’ll share a few of my thoughts on the proposed changes.
Patch 1.2.1: Balance Changes
The first of the shaman changes are already up on the Public Test Server and will likely be going live soon; perhaps even late this week! These changes are almost entirely buffs!
- Our damage is being increased by 25% for almost all of our nukes
- Get’n Smarter, which steals Intelligence from our target, is now also a DoT
- Big Waaagh! will cost less AP (30) and have a shorter cooldown (5 seconds)
- Gork’s Barbs is being redesigned to be like Playing With Fire
- Shrug it Off: Changed to a 30 second buff that instantly heals the recipient when their life drops below 15%
This next patch alone should make shaman a lot more fun to play! But Mythic isn’t stopping there, we have more goodies incoming!
Patch 1.3.0: Mastery Reshuffle
The second round of updates will focus on changes to the Mastery Paths. The biggest change is the Path of Da Green is being refocused from Buffs/Debuffs to Lifetaps/Survival; and along with that some of our spells are being reshuffled:
- Mork’s Buffer: Da Green (base) -> Mork (base)
- Yer a Weaklin’: Da Green (mastery x5) -> Mork (base)
- Sticky Feetz: Da Green (mastery x13) -> Mork (mastery x5)
- ‘Ere We Go!: Da Green (base) -> Gork (base)
- Big Waaagh!: Gork (mastery x5) -> Gork (base)
- Geddoff!: Gork (mastery x13) -> Gork (mastery x5)
- Gork’s Barbs: Da Green (mastery x5) -> Gork (mastery x9)
- Da Waaagh! Is Coming: Gork (mastery x9) -> Gork (mastery x13)
- I’ll Take That!: Mork (mastery x5) -> Da Green (base)
- Don’ Feel Nuthin: Mork (base) -> Da Green (base)
- Bleed Fer’ Me: Mork (base) -> Da Green (base)
- Yer Not So Bad: Core -> Da Green (base)
- You’z Squishy: Da Green (mastery x9) -> Da Green (base)
- Scuse Me!: Gork (base) -> Da Green (mastery x5)
- You Got Nuthin!: Da Green (base) -> Da Green (mastery x9)
- AoE Lifetap: Da Green (mastery x13)
That is a pretty thorough reshuffling; nearly half of our spells are being moved around! What are my thoughts? Sounds awesome! I’ve never been overly fond of the current mastery trees. With 1.2, a Gork/Da Green mix is just terrible, and our other choices are limited: Mork/Da Green for groups, Mork/Gork for solo. Patch 1.3 seems like it will bring more spec options, as mixing any of the three trees together seems to have potential. I’ll definitely be trying a Gork/Da Green spec when this goes live.
Patch 1.3.1: Mechanic Revamp
Perhaps the most exciting news is we may be getting a mechanic revamp. This is badly needed! Our current mechanic is terrible and adds little to our career. In patch 1.1 it was used purely to make our AP drain instant cast. Now, I pre-build it before a fight for one instant cast nuke and then mostly ignore it. Our current mechanic needs to go and the new one sounds like a great replacement!
So how will our new mechanic work? It’s basically a scale from -3 to +3, with the following values:
+3: 160% Mork / 70% Gork / 100% Da Green
+2: 130% Mork / 85% Gork / 115% Da Green
+1: 115% Mork / 92.5% Gork / 130% Da Green
+0: 100% Mork / 100% Gork / 160% Da Green
-1: 92.5% Mork / 115% Gork / 130% Da Green
-2: 85% Mork / 130% Gork / 115% Da Green
-3: 70% Mork / 160% Gork / 100% Da Green
Each time we cast a Mork spell, it rises, up to the max of +3. Each time we cast a Gork spell, it lowers, down to a minimum of -3. Each time we cast a Da Green spell, it gets closer to 0.
The idea behind this new mechanic is to reward you for continuing to use spells from just one Mastery. This definitely seems better then our current mechanic, as shamans who heal will do their job better; and shamans who deal damage will do their job better. The mechanic also helps prevent shamans from becoming over-powered, as nukes and heals will be much less effective if you try and do both; which is good.
However, one side effect seems to be that Da Green will always be a Mastery path you use. A Mork/Gork shaman would not be as viable as the mechanic works against you too much, bouncing between 70%-160%. But a Mork/Da Green or a Gork/Da Green shaman would work well, bouncing only between 100%-160%. I’m ok with this though, as the Da Green line seems to offer quite a bit of flexibility, and it definitely would add more spec options then what we currently have.
My final thoughts? I like the whole bundle, exactly as described, cannot wait for it to go live!